Trophy for Person/Group who Raises the most Donations
Begin preview of online auction available at www.yellowmtn. Org
|Event at Williams YMCA Chapman Center, Linville, NC|
|6:30 p.m.||Silent Auction Begins|
|7:15 p.m.||Completion of Silent Auction|
|7:15 p.m.||Live Auction begins|
|Event at Lees-McRae College Sports Complex, Banner Elk, NC|
|7:30 a.m.||5K/Walk-a-thon packet pickup and registration at Tate Field/Authur, Lauritsen and Sanders Track and Field Venue (# Sports 25 on Campus Map)|
|8:50 a.m.||Opening Ceremonies|
|9:10 a.m.||5k Start on Track|
|10:15 a.m.||Walk-a-thon start on track|
|10:15 a.m.||5K awards at Trackside|
|12:15 p.m.||Walk-a-thon ends|
|12:30 p.m.||Conclusion of Step Up for Yellow Mountain activities|
Walkers can begin their walk any time between 10:15 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. The laps do not have to be done all at one time. Relax and do them throughout the day. After the day is over, they fill out the Pledge Sheet and collect the donations from their sponsors. For more specific information, see the "Tips and Advice" below.
Tips and advice
1. Set a goal for the number of miles/laps you will walk - for instance 3 miles. A lap is 1/4 mile.
2. Make a list of friends, family, co-workers,etc. you can get to sponsor you in the Walk-A-Thon
3. Send out a letter or telephone prospective sponsors. Use the sample letter and be sure to personalize it with a hand-written note at the bottom.
A. Sponsors just make a donation to Yellow Mountain.
B. To view/print the Sponsor Sheet,
4. As the Sponsors commit to a donation, fill out the Pledge Sheet.
A. To view/print the Pledge Sheet,
5. On June 22, come to the Lees-Mc Rae track and walk between 10:15 a.m. and 12:15 a.m. and walk as many miles/laps as you can. (NOTE: You do not need to walk continuously. Take breaks and rest throughout the day in order to get your maximum number of miles/laps in).
6. No Pets can be allowed, due to the crowd congestion and participant activity.
7. On June 22, payment can be made by cash, credit card (PayPal) or check. CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE PAYABLE TO: Yellow Mountain Enterprises
8. Give your collected money and envelope to your team captain, who will turn it into Yellow Mountain: Individual walkers turn money in at the track or mail to:
Yellow Mountain Enterprises
P.O. Box 548
255 Estatoa Avenue
Newland, NC 28657
9. All funds should be forwarded to Yellow Mountain by July 1.
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THIS FUND RAISER!
If you are not on a team, please register here and agree to the release If you wish to be on a team, please call Yellow Mountain at 828-733-2944 to be assigned to a team.
The registration fee is $25 (Additional donations are welcome). The Registration Fee includes a tee shirt made by Yellow Mountain. The fee can be paid when registering on-line with PayPal or credit card or with cash, check or credit card when registering on event day. Registration is required of every runner. To register on-line, click the button below and agree to the release.
To Enter a Meet as an Individual:
Divisions (Male and Female)
Age 13 & Under, 14-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
Packets can be picked up between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. at Trackside. Registration fees can be paid at this time. Lockers and showers are available for your use in the Field House. Do not enter by the front door. Use the Right Side door of the Field House. You are guests of Lees-McRae, so please take care of the area and remove all of your trash. DO NOT ENTER THE GYM.
7:30 - 8:45 a.m.: Pick up packets and/or register
8:50 a.m.: Opening Ceremonies
9:00 a.m.: Deadline for on-site 5K registration
9:10 - 10:10 a.m.: 5K Run (Start on Track)
10:15 a.m.: 5K awards in Triangle
Description of Course
1. The race will start on the track. Runners will run 1 and 3/4 laps, exit the back gate (under the flag pole), follow the cut path until you intersect with Hickory Nut Gap Road, turn left, run on the right side of road. The one mile mark and water station is at the second entrance to Wildcat Lake. Continue to the parking lot of the Arbor Dale Presbyterian Church, run the cone circle (water station 2), turn left (downhill) and run on right side of road. The 2 mile mark is directly across from the mile mark. Continue down Hickory Nut Gap Road and turn right into the track parking lot, cross the parking lot and continue downhill, turn right into track, run 1 lap to the finish line and through the chute.
2. DO NOT TAKE YOUR NUMBER OFF - ALLOW AN OFFICIAL TO REMOVE IT. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, YOU WILL NOT HAVE A TIME RECORDED. BE SURE WHEN YOU SURRENDER YOUR NUMBER, YOU HAVE A FINISH CARD IN YOUR HAND!
3. The Yellow Mountain Family thanks you for a GREAT RUN!
4. HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE.
To view/print a map of the course,
Individual medals will be given to the male and female winners of each age group.
The medals are professionally made by Yellow Mountain folks.
AWARDS WILL BE PRESENTED IN THE TRIANGE IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE RACE.
Tips and advice
1. Hydrate 48 hours ahead.
2. Be on time.
3. Pick up your packet the day of the race at the track. Be prepared to pay any unpaid fees.
4. Cool down properly
5. Hydrate after the race.
Water will be provided free. A food concession stand will also be available for breakfast and lunch.
• Thursday, June 20, 6:30 p.m.
• Location - Williams YMCA's Chapman Center, 331 Hospital Dr., Linville, N.C.
• Silent Auction at 6:30 p.m.
• Live Auction at 7:15 p.m.
• Complimentary table serving punch, iced tea, coffee and delicious finger food (all homemade)
• Cash bar with beer and wine
The Live Auction will be conducted by Auctioneer Roy Krege (Mr. Woolyworm).
To preview the items offered in the auctions, .
For the Silent Auction, there will be table displays and bidding sheets for each auction item in the room. Silent Auction Bidding starts at 6:30 p.m. To bid, add your name to the bidding sheet with your bid. The bid must be higher by $1 or more than all others on the sheet as of that time. You can add another bid on the same or other items at any time and as many times as you want until 7:15. The items will be awarded to the highest bidders. Payment can be made with cash, check or credit card.
The Live Auction, conducted by Auctioneer Roy Krege (Mr. Woolyworm), will feature the majority of the best donated items. It starts at 7:15.
If you would like to Step Up For Yellow Mountain by donating an item to the auction, contact any Yellow Mountain Board Member.
Individual and Team Photographs
Mark Houde, top sports photographer from Carolina Sports Photography, will be taking both individual and group photos throughout the events. Participants can also pose with costumed characters. Photos will be available after the event over the internet. For sample photos, .
A DJ will be providing music and commentarythroughout the events.
There will be costumed characters to pose with the event attendees, as well as as two 7+ foot GREAT basketball players, Tommy Burleson (North Carolina State) and David Angel (Clemson).
Medical professionals from the Williams YMCA of Avery Co. will be on-site. They are fully certified and will be at each water station, at Trackside, and on the 5K and Fun Run courses in a vehicle.
Bros Ollis Construction Co.
Modern Toyota of Boone
Modern Subaru of Boone
Blue Ridge Propane
Twin Rivers Management
Williams YMCA of Avery County
Craig McPhail - Event Coordinator
Ray Cowart - Web Site
AAEC, Inc. dba Yellow Mountain Enterprises and Avery County Group Home is a tax-exempt, 501 (c) (3). It is the mission of AAEC to serve adults in Avery County with developmental disabilities, and their families, by providing vocational, educational,residential, social opportunities and support.
Step Up Sponsorship Solicitation
On-Site Registration and Payment
Chair: Bill Gass
Chair: Craig McPhail
Chair: Dennis Quackenboss
Auction – Overall Organization and Coordination
Chair: Margaret Jenkins
Auction Item Solicitation
Chair: Margaret Jenkins
Auction Event Logistics
Chair: Robin Gilliam
|Craig McPhail||Event Coordinator & Host|
|Meg Jenkins Locke||Publications|
|Margaret Jenkins||Auction & Clown Costume Character|
|Ray Cowart||Web Site|